Quest for Fanghorn Castle is a medium Euro adventure race game that ties a rich vampire theme intricately to deep and satisfying gameplay mechanics.
• Race to secure territory - the game board has six main regions in which players secure Sanctuaries before proceeding to the final central region
• Asymmetric player powers - each player takes on the guise of a vampire type with unique powers. Additional abilities are gained during gameplay.
• Diplomacy and negotiation - since there is direct interaction between players, alliances and bonds will be built, tried, and tested.
• Dice manipulation / Push your luck - a mechanic allows for players to spend a resource called Sway to reroll dice and change their outcome.
• Player decisions evolve gameplay - players have agency: choosing powers to retain or replace, choosing targets for effects, and more!
• Resource management - three main resources (Blood, Wisdom, Coin) test acquisition and spending strategies, along with the additional resource, Sway.
• Catch-up mechanisms - attack actions directly affect players' points. Also, a "boon" gives a bonus to the player who secures it and the player in last place.
• Diverse tactics and strategies ensure replay value!
Will players stick to securing sanctuaries as fast as possible? Or will they try to gain powers and thralls to become more efficient? Will they seek to foil their opponents, or play an isolationist style game?
• Semi-random outcomes generate suspense and drama!
Some "luck of the draw" will determine resource gain rate and allocation. Powers and Lore cards provide random game-changing effects. Balance is maintained by catch-up mechanisms and push-your-luck options.
• Action economy engenders desire for “a little more!”
Only being able to perform a limited number of actions, divided by two turn phases, limits how much players can accomplish at once - giving rise to strategizing time investments and play goals.
• High table-engagement from direct competition!
Many effects directly impact other players, from direct attacks to global effects to event card fallout.
• Tension built from careful balance mechanics!
It is rare to have a runaway game - the balance mechanics keep everyone on the edge of their seat for the entire game session!
UNIQUE DECISIONS AND GAMEPLAY
Players are forced to make lasting accommodations to acquire, secure, andprogress. Alliances and negotiations ultimately fall apart as each player is ontheir own bloody mission to claim the Fanghorn Castle throne.
CURRENTLY CONSISTS OF:
14 page instruction book (half-page size)
7 piece game board
1 VP tracker board
6 VP tokens
6 player info cards
3 misc tokens
6 meeples - eventually to be detailed vampire sculpts
42 sanctuary tokens
12 mini cards
54 victim cards
78 event cards
180 single-worth resource plastic tokens (cubes)
180 five-worth resource plastic tokens (bars)
60 additional resource plastic tokens (gemstones)
ENGAGING AND LOGICALLY IMPLEMENTED THEME
Each player takes on the guise of one of six unique vampires, roaming the countryside taking victims, securing Sanctuaries, battling, and gaining abilities and Power.
The game has incredibly tight theme logic.
Here are some examples:
• There are three main resources, each related to two gameboard Regions.
• There are six types of vampire; one from each Region. The vampire type makes sense for the Region. The Chupacabra comes from the Farmlands, whereas the Succubus comes from the classy and wealthy Heights.
• There are also six types of Victim; each themed from one of the six Regions. Abilities of the Victims are related to their Region.
• A player's starting resource count depends on their Vampire type which, as mentioned, also corresponds to their hailing Region.
• Sanctuary cost is logically spread across the three main resources. For example, securing the Clocktower at the University takes Wisdom, whereas securing the Gallows in the Badlands costs Blood.
• Each vampire's unique power ability is related to its vampire lore. For example, the Impaler gets a bonus to attack damage, while the Man-Bat can move between regions for free because it can fly.
• Power and Lore event cards are based off of vampire mythologies, from Bloodlust, to Fangs, to Dracula's Cape, Holy Water, Mustard Seed and more!
Below is a diagram of some internal theme-to-mechanics organization:
"Victim" cards are used to gain resources, capture powerful Thralls (with their own powers), and attack opponents. Revel in action economy planning!
Lore and Power "Event" cards create asymmetric power dynamics and may also be used to defend against attacks!
In short, Quest for Fanghorn Castle boasts a rich and engaging theme
supported by deep but accessible gameplay mechanics. Quest for Fanghorn Castle
will earn a beloved spot in players' favorite games shelves!